Yesterday was cold. Frigid. Freezing. As I was creeping home last night I got to thinking of all the things I'm thankful for and what I dislike during what the news is callng Ice Storm 2009. Let's begin with the dislikes. That way we'll end on a positive note.
Dislikes during and ice storm:
1. People who think they can still drive at a normal speed. Listen, buddy, I don't care who you are, what you drive or where you grew up. Ice is ice and it doesn't care either. So slow down! The rest of us would like to make it home without getting in a wreck!
2. Parents who don't pick up their kids early. Listen, I realize if your kid rides the bus it's safer for them on the bus. However, if your kid either walks home or is a car rider. Get them early! Teachers would like to go home early too!
3. Shoes that don't have traction. I love my shoes, but sliding backwards in the parking lot is not what I want to be doing.
4. Power outages. Our power went out last night around 5:30. It's cold. When we don't have heat, it doesn't make for a fun evening. How did we solve it? Camp out at my sister's house.
5. The news. I realize it was a big ice storm. I get that. But do we really need around the hour coverage? Do you need to infringe on my morning dose of Matt Lauer?
Likes during the ice storm:
1. Snow days! I think teachers love them more than students.
2. Cars that defrost easily. We got a new family car in August and haven't tried out the defrost buttons until yesterday. I love them!
3. Parents that come to pick up their kids early from school. With such a small group of kids, we got a lot of organizing done around the classroom!
4. Driving home from a job. On my way home, the DJ mentioned that Monday was labeled "Bloody Monday" due to 68,000 layoffs in one day. I have much to be thankful for that I have a job that right now seems secure.
5. Family. When our power went out, we called my family and they all offered to let us come stay with them. We drove to Brooke's house since it's the closest. Thank you to the Wilson family for letting us stay overnight. And a HUGE thank you to our nephews, Tyler and Brandon, for letting us sleep in their room. Clay and I slept Lucy and Desi style....in separate twin beds!
6. Spending time with our nephews and niece. They crack us up with what they say and do. PLUS, we heard Kelsi speak her first word. She smiled at Courtney, handed over her bear lovey and said clearly "A bear." It was a first and we were there!
7. Coming home to a warm home once the electricity came back on. We're home and snug inside.
8. Not just one snow day, but TWO snow days in a row! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Thursday as well. Everyone start praying!
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
We got Thursday! Woohoo!
Post a Comment