Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Play On Words

Yesterday I gave my class an assignment. They had to write two sentences for every vocabulary word that's associated with our story for the week. No one grumbled since we go over these words at length everyday discussing examples, writing, even acting them out sometimes. Well, this week one of our words was retorted. Yeah, I know. It sounds like another word. Go ahead. Say it out loud.

Yesterday, I was reviewing their work to see if they understood the words. Below are two sentences I got from one of my students.

1. He is retorted.
2. She is not retorted.

How can you not laugh? Someone I work with (I can't remember who. Sorry!) said she must not like boys to accuse them of being "retorted."

The paper is now safely in my "dark days" box in my desk drawer. Whenever I need a good laugh, there it is for me to look at.




1 comment:

dblack said...

Oh, I shouldn't even comment on the retorted part, so I'm just going to let you guess what I'm thinking...lol Here's another funny for you: One of my Kindergartners came in the other day with animal hair all over his clothes so I asked him if he had a cat. He said no but I have a dog. Of course I then asked him what kind of dog he had and replied with "A puck!" "You mean a pug?" I questioned and he came back with "That's what I said, A puck!"